27 February 2014

Bread, bread, bread

It was a savoury day in my kitchen today.  Apart from the homemade tahini, white bean hommus, poached and shredded chicken for lunches I also made some yummy bread.  Best part of it was I used the 1 base recipe and created 3 dishes.  I love bread, especially homemade bread!






















Bread Base Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cups warm water
  • 1 sachet of dry yeast (roughly 2 tsp)
  • 1 tsp raw sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups plain flour
  • 3/4 cup buckwheat flour (I mill mine using 100g of whole buckwheat)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
Method:
  1. In a small bowl mix together warm (not hot) water, sugar and yeast and let sit for 5-10mins until yeast has activated.
  2. In a food processor, bellini or thermomix, mill buckwheat if using it whole.  Add remaining dry ingredients and mix together.
  3. With the processor going, gradually add the activated yeast water. Increase speed slowly until well combined.  
  4. Again while processor is going, add the olive oil.  Dough should form a ball in the machine.
  5. Place dough in a oiled bowl and cover with clean towel.  Leave in a warm spot to allow dough to prove for at least 30-45mins before forming into desired dish and baking.

Instead of letting my dough prove altogether today, I split it up.  Half went into an oiled loaf tin and was put aside to prove.  With the remaining half, I split it in half again as I wanted to make two different flavours.  I oiled a 12 hole muffin tin and with first half of dough I rolled into 6 balls, placed into the muffin tin.  The last quarter of dough I left in my machine and added half a sachet of Leggo's pizza tomato paste to the machine and blitzed it through the dough.  I needed a little extra flour on my hands to work this last bit into 6 balls as the paste made it a bit wetter.  Once rolled into 6 balls, they were put in the muffin tin too and put aside to prove.  Once everything had proved for 45mins I popped the loaf in the oven (preheated of course!).

With the balls in the muffin tin, using 2 little spoons, I created a well in the middle of each ball (like a mini cup).  In the first 6 balls, I placed a teaspoon of onion & chive cream cheese.  In the last 6 balls, I added the remaining sachet of Leggo's paste amongst them, added a scatter of diced bacon and topped with grated cheese.

The bread baked for 25-30mins and the mini buns baked for 15-20mins.  The bread isn't your normal sandwich loaf, its more like a bruschetta bread.  We use it for grilling for sliders or toasted as a side to salad spread with hommus or beetroot dip.

OMG these were awesome.  My bread done 3 ways: Bruschetta, Bread Dip Cups & Pizza Bread Cups... 

Oh and don't worry if you don't have buckwheat, just use all plain flour.  I wanted to try buckwheat out but I normally just use all plain flour.  I use this base for many things, scrolls, pizza bases, pull aparts.... its very versatile for sweet or savoury!

ENJOY! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment