21 February 2014

Coconut Rough Cakes

In an attempt at eating a little bit healthier, I came across some 'clean eating' chocolate muffins so I gave them a try.  Jordon loved them even with all the healthish substitutions!  So I made a double batch the second time around with some tweaking to the recipe to suit what ingredients I had on hand (wouldn't be my style cooking if it wasn't tweaked a bit!).

Jordon has named them Coconut Rough Cakes, which is kind of true, so it stuck. The original recipe can be found over at SkinnyMS, below is my version, simplified a bit (not GF or vegan, but still yummy!)






















Coconut Rough Cakes
Makes: 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups oats
  • 60g brown sugar
  • 140g applesauce
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 3 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla essence
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yoghurt
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 3/4 cup coconut (I used shredded but could use any)
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup hot water
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and get muffin tray ready with cupcake lines.
  2. In a food processor, blender, bellini or thermomix (whichever machine you use), grind up oats similar to a flour consistency.
  3. Add remaining ingredients except chocolate chips and hot water.
  4. Gradually add the hot water in until you get a good cake consistency.  (I say this because my first go at making them it was super runny so I had to add flour into it, second time around I gradually added the hot water so it didn't happen again, thus needed less than original recipe.)
  5. Stir in chocolate chips and pour into cupcake liners.
  6. Bake for approx 15-20mins.

I enjoyed mine warm with some natural yoghurt, Jordon eats them hot, cold, frozen - just about anyway he can! LOL

ENJOY! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment