20 February 2014

Finally something my daughter will eat!

My first blog post for my new little project and I thought what better way to start it off than with a super positive food experience (which in this house is something to scream from the rooftop about!)

As most of my friends know, I'm always on the look out for recipes to try that Ella will eat.  For those who don't know, Ella has MAJOR food issues, partly due to a very traumatic tonsil surgery and party from her ASD sensory issues.  Anyway, we have tried everything, and I mean everything (food school, psychologists, therapists, natural remedies, you name it we've done it) and everyone we've seen have said it just a matter of time.  So each day I try, unsuccessfully, to get her to eat something I make and every week I find new recipes and think, maybe one day.... Well that day has arrived... While reading through one of my favourite food sites, I found her recipe for popcorn chicken.  I didn't have all the ingredients she used but since I'm more of an inventive cook, I thought its a good starting point. 

So off to the kitchen I went and made my version of popcorn chicken... well you wouldn't believe it, over 2 years of persistence has paid off because she ate it!!!!!  So I made it again last night and she ate it again!!!!  To say we were over the moon would be an huge understatement. Seriously this is huge.  Ella eats 4 foods (ONLY!) and none of which are homemade, up until now. We are so excited and I don't care if I have to make it every night for her, she is finally eating something, anything and its homemade! WOOP WOOP!!!!

Anyway, in recognition of this wonderful achievement I thought I'd share my version of the recipe.  The original recipe can be found over at The Road to Loving my Thermomix and here is my adaption of it.

I hope if you have fussy eaters this gives you as much success as we are currently having, fingers crossed now it continues!























 
POPCORN CHICKEN 
Makes: 2 chicken breasts

Flour Mix:
  • 180g plain flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 2 tsp BBQ seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
Other Ingredients:
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 2 eggs
  • Oil for frying
Method:
  1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Put half of the flour mixture on a plate (add more to plate when needed so as to not waste any if you don't use it all).  
  2. In a small bowl beat eggs together very well.
  3. Dice up chicken breast into small pieces and coat in egg wash then flour mix. If you want a really crispy coating, do a second egg wash and flour mixture dip.
  4. Shallow fry in a hot frypan, or drizzle with oil and bake on a silicone mat/oven tray until golden brown.  As the pieces are small it doesn't take very long, so don't walk away!
Although this makes enough for 2 chicken breasts, I only make one at at time. I put half aside in a tupperware container (uncontaminated) for use the next night.

ENJOY! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment