I found this recipe in my cookbook, not sure where it originated from as its been in there a few years, I just made a quarter amount of icing as only needed it for the tops.
Made: 20 small-medium cupcakes
- 125g butter, soft
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups SR Flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (or normal milk)
- Coconut for sprinkling on tops
- 1/2 cup icing mixture
- 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 1/2 tsp butter, soft
- up to 1 Tbsp Boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees and line muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and mix together until well combined.
- Add flour and buttermilk gently mix together.
- Pour into cupcake liners and bake for 15-20mins or until a skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Allow to cool down completely before icing.
- In a small bowl add icing mixture, cocoa & melted butter.
- Gradually add boiling water tiny bits at a time and mix well until you get a good thick icing consistency (I found using a whisk easiest). You may not need all the water so do it gradually.
- If you add too much water, just add more icing mixture.
- Ice top of the cupcakes and sprinkle with coconut