Chocolate Beetroot Cake
- 125g fresh medjool dates, pitted
- 240g fresh cooked and cooled beetroot
- 50 cacao or cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 180g spelt flour
- 200g sour cream or greek yoghurt
- Splash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180° and prepare a cake tin.
- In a bellini, thermomix or high powered blender, blitz the dates up so they are well combined, speed 9 for approx 10 seconds.
- Add beetroot and eggs and mix to a mostly smooth puree, speed 8 for approx 15 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined, scraping down sides as needed, speed 8 for approx 20 seconds.
- Pour into prepared tin of choice and bake for 20mins or until a skewer comes our clean.
- Allow to cool before decorating. We used our giant donut tin and decorated it with homemade strawberry vanilla & chia jam and whipped cream in middle and used my new nutella spread on top!
Mixed Nut Nutella
Made 2 jar fulls
- 50g rapadura
- 60g cashews
- 60g almonds
- 60g macadamia nuts
- 60g hazelnuts
- 60g brazil nuts
- 100g chocolate pieces of your choice
- 30g cacao powder
- 150g coconut milk (I used my homemade one)
- In a bellini or thermomix (or high powered blender) mill rapadura for a few seconds on speed 9.
- Add all nuts and chocolate pieces and grind up speed 9 approx 15-20 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook at 60° for 6mins on speed 3.
- Pour into sterilized jars.
And don't waste those little bits left in the bowl, add some milk and cook for 5mins at 80° speed 3 for a nice hot chocolate drink!
I was inspired by Quirky Cookings nutella spread and used some of her recipe steps for my recipe base. This is so yummy you could use as a spread, as cake icing or simply add it to ice cream, either way its a nice version with no nasty additives!