17 August 2014

Grapefruit and Vanilla Bean Curd

I have a huge amount of delicious grapefruits and was feeling adventurous wanting to make a grapefruit curd.  I went on the lookout and could only find ones that needed eggs (which I didn't have many left in the house and wasn't keen to use them all up on an experiment).  So I came up with this egg-free version and I tell you its something.  A nice big punch of grapefruit flavour in a yummy curd. Definitely not one for the fainthearted, but if you are a grapefruit fan like me (I eat them whole!) you should love this too.






















Now you are probably thinking what you would do with this powerfully yummy spread....  well here is what I do... top off my breakfast bowl of homemade granola and homemade yoghurt with my new homemade curd! So good!!! Of course you could also have it on scones or toast. 






















Grapefruit & Vanilla Bean Curd
This quantity made 4 approx 200ml jars

Ingredients:
  • 20g grapefruit peel (for zest)
  • 180g sugar
  • Heaped Tbsp of vanilla bean paste
  • 2 1/2 cups grapefruit juice
  • 90g butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 Tbsp cornflour dissolved in 6 Tbsp water
  • 4 Tbsp almond milk (or any milk)
Method:
  1. Using sharp knife remove zest/peel from a grapefruit being sure to limit the white pith you get. Set peel aside.
  2. Completely remove peel from a few grapefruits and place in your bellini/thermomix bowl. (this makes the juice and will depend on size of your fruit as to how many you will need).
  3. Blitz on speed 10 for 30 seconds. Once you have enough juice, strain out pulp and set aside. Roughly clean and dry bowl (doesn't need to be perfect).
  4. Place peel and sugar in bowl and blitz on speed 10 for 10 seconds.
  5. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 10mins on speed 3, 80°
  6. Pour into sterilized jars and keep in fridge.
ENJOY! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment