23 August 2014

Homemade Mayonnaise

I was never a fan of mayo, that was until I made it myself.  My first ever attempt split but since then I have successfully made it with this recipe every couple of weeks for nearly 6months.  It is a mixture of a few different recipes I have come across and tweaked it until I got it the way I like. 

So I thought I'd share my version for those that may not have had success with homemade mayo yet. I use a spoonful of this to mix into my shredded chicken for lunches so the chicken doesn't fall all over the place!






















Homemade Mayonnaise

Ingredients:
  • 1 egg - MUST BE ROOM TEMP (I take my egg out of fridge the night before I make it)
  • 1 Tbsp mustard (sometimes I use more)
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 200g oil of choice (I use sunflower oil)
  • salt & pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Place your butterfly attachment into the bellini or thermomix jug.
  2. Make sure everything is ready and measured as I have found the best results come when the whipping doesn't stop.
  3. Separate the egg white and yolk, place the yolk in the bowl and the put the egg white aside til later in recipe.
  4. Along with the yolk, place the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in the bowl.
  5. Set the timer for 5mins on speed 4.
  6. Whip the yolk, mustard and vinegar for approx 1min then start drizzling the oil in over the top of the measuring cup so that it drizzles in VERY SLOWLY OVER APPROX 3 MINUTES.
  7. In the last minute add the egg white thru the top of the jug and replace the MC.
  8. Sometimes if I get to the end and find I need more flavour I add some more mustard and give it a quick whiz up.
  9. Store in a jar and keep in fridge.
Most people say to use up within 3-4 days but I've used mine up to 14days later and its still fine.  You choose whats right as only you know your conditions, egg used by date, fridge temp, if it smells etc.



ENJOY!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment