27 August 2014

Pear and Pistachio Muffins with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting

I received 2 pears in my fruit & veg box last fortnight and I was really excited as I love pears.  Especially in a salad with feta and sweet chilli sauce but since I forgot to get feta on the shopping list I decided to do something different with them.  I found this awesome looking recipe via The Wonderlust Kitchen that I wanted to try but with a few 'my way' adjustments and of course made into individual muffins instead of one large loaf.  OMG they are so good.  I had to hide them in the back freezer so they weren't all gobbled up in one sitting.






















Pear and Pistachio Muffins with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
makes approx 15 medium sized muffins

Ingredients:
Muffin
  • 60g butter
  • 1 egg
  • 100g rapadura
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
  • 300g SR flour
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • Pinch of salt
  • 85g plain yoghurt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 270g pear flesh, roughly chopped
  • 50g pistachios, shelled
Frosting
  • 85g honey
  • 115g cream cheese, soft
  • 55g butter, soft
Method:
I used my Bellini to make these, but would work with egg beaters too.
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tray with cases, or a loaf tin with parchment paper if you want to do one loaf instead of muffins.
  2. Beat butter, egg, rapadura and vanilla until well combined. In my Bellini I used speed 5 for 15 seconds.
  3. Add flour, spices, salt and yoghurt and mix again on speed 5 for 15-20seconds while gradually adding the milk thru the hole.
  4. Add pears and nuts and give it a quick pulse 2-3 times to give a quick mix without crushing the nuts too much (so you keep some texture).
  5. Bake for 20-25mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
  6. To make frosting, simply beat all ingredients together (this I did use my egg beaters) until nice and smooth.
Just like they mention in the original recipe, you can eat these frosted when they are still warm as a nice treat or let them cool completely. We couldn't wait so we frosted a few when still quite warm for taste testing purposes of course.  The rest were mostly cooled first before frosted then put in the freezer.  Even frosted, these muffins freeze really well, so you can enjoy them another day and not have to eat them all at once... that is if they last long enough to freeze.

ENJOY!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment