13 December 2014

Chicken & Cashew with rice

I was craving chinese for dinner tonight, but hate paying for take away when I can make it for about a third of the cost. Plus I prefer my own cooking as I know whats in it and the conditions in which it was made.  I never used to think about food prep much but recently was listening to a conversation about the state of some commercial kitchens.  It was enough to turn me off eating out ever again!!!  So between that and the cost factor (and to be honest being too lazy to get dressed appropriately for going out to buy take away on a lazy Saturday drizzly evening), I dragged myself off the couch and made this chinese dish for dinner and I'm so glad I did as it was amazing!!!!  Luckily I also wrote down what I used so I could share the love here with you all too.






















Chicken & Cashew with rice
Serves 2 - could easily double recipe for more, or add extra veggies to fill it up

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp BBQ sauce
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp chinese five spice
  • 2 Tbsp plain flour
  • Salt & Pepper to season the flour
  • 1 large chicken breast, cut into 3-4cm cubes
  • 2 Tbsp oil of choice
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or heaped tsp of minced garlic)
  • 1 zucchini, large rounds then cut into quarters
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • Rice of choice
Method:
  1. Set rice to cook before you start as rice normally takes 25mins and this dish only takes 15-17mins so you want to make sure they are both ready at the same time.
  2. In a small bowl mix the first 4 ingredients together to make the 'sauce' and set it aside.
  3. In a ziplock bag place the flour, salt, pepper and chicken cubes and mix around to coat the chicken, set aside.
  4. Heat the oil in a frypan on med-hot and add the garlic and chicken and cook for 8-10mins until nice and browned and chicken is mostly cooked.
  5. Reduce the temperature to medium and add the cashews, zucchini and vinegar and mix around with wooden spoon to coat all pieces and cook for another minute or two.
  6. Add the 'sauce', stir to coat and then add the 2 Tbsp of water to give some more wetness (if so desired).  
  7. Stir around mixture while cooking for a further 2-3 minutes and then remove from heat and serve immediately with rice.
I am definitely doubling this recipe next time as hubby went looking for more.  This is going on the menu roster again for next week!

ENJOY! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment