08 January 2015

Spicy Spelt Sticks

I was feeling peckish for something savoury yesterday only to look and see that I was out of crackers and didn't have all the ingredients to make some more so I got creative (as I do) and made these super yummy and really easy Spicy Spelt Sticks instead.  Next time I am definitely making a double batch as these disappeared really fast.






















Spicy Spelt Sticks

Ingredients:
  • 35g butter
  • 150g spelt flour
  • 25g parmesan, grated
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1-2 tsp cajun spice mix (to desired spicyness!) *
  • 70g water
Method:
If you don't already have your block parmesan grated, you will need to do that first, but since I grate mine in one hit at the start of the week I didn't need to.
  1. Place butter in thermo jug and melt, speed 2, 50 degrees for 2mins (less if your butter is soft).
  2. Add dry ingredients and give quick mix speed 6, 4 seconds.
  3. Gradually add water thru top while jug is set to speed 4 and mix to form dough (took me approx 20seconds). You don't want the dough mixture too wet/sticky as you need to work with it.  If too wet just add a bit extra flour.
  4. Roll out as you would crackers, slice into strips and twist.
  5. Lay them on a baking tray lined with silicone mat or baking paper and sprinkle with extra salt (optional) and bake for approx 15-20mins or until nicely browned and crisp.
* My cajun mix came from the latest issue of "The 4 Blades" magazine but you could really use any spice of choice, BBQ, Itialian, Moroccan etc. 

ENJOY!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment