27 March 2015

BBQ Sauce

I put off making my own BBQ for months as hubby was totally addicted to only the 1 brand and he would have it on everything.... and I mean EVERYTHING! Plus I'm not a big BBQ sauce fan (well at least I wasn't until I finally made my own).  After all the changes to our food habits the day finally came that hubby couldn't stand the taste of the brand he was so in love with then I made him some homemade sauce and I have to say, now I'm addicted to it!!!! The best part is he loves it too.

A good friend currently has tomatoes growing like crazy and I made her some of this sauce the other day and her sauce hating child loved it (winning!!!) and I said when she gets more tomatoes I'll grab some as I'm almost out of sauce myself.  So today on my very long list of things to do was make sauce as I used the last of my jar in my spare rib marinade that is currently cooking away in my slow cooker... mmmmm spare ribs.....

Anyway I realised I hadn't shared my sauce recipe so today I finally got a photo to go with the recipe Now I'm warning you it is so good, seriously its a eat-it-by-the-spoonful type of good... you have been warned... This sauce also rocks in slow cooked honey bbq chicken...  getting side tracked....  cue the recipe!






















BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:
  • small onion, peeled and halved
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 20g oil
  • 700-800g tomatoes (no seeds or core)
  • 100g tomato paste
  • 40g apple cider vinegar
  • 40g soy sauce
  • 80g rapadura (or brown sugar)
  • Salt & Pepper to preferred taste
  • 1 Tbsp tapioca (or cornflour)
Method:
  1. Chop onion & garlic on speed 7 for 3 sec, scrape down sides.
  2. Add oil and saute 2mins, 100, speed 1.
  3. Add tomatoes and paste and blitz on speed 6 for 20 sec.
  4. Add remaining ingredients except tapioca and cook for 20mins, 100, speed 2.
  5. Dissolve the tapioca/cornflour in a tiny bit of water and add to the mix then cook for a further 5mins, 100, speed 2.
  6. Blitz for 30 sec, speed 5 and strain thru a metal seive to remove any remaining skin pieces (makes easier for kids to eat it when its the right consistency).
  7. Jar up and enjoy!

Notes:
- the core and seeds of the tomatoes is what makes it bitter so I prefer to remove them
- you can use canned tomatoes just fine
- to make it tomato sauce and not BBQ, just omit the soy sauce and sugar

ENJOY!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment